My twenty-fourth birthday wish


I am twenty four, it seems like yesterday when I was thirteen.

When I was a child, I looked forward my birthday.
I was waiting for the birthday cake, and blowing candles.

When I was in my teens, I was anticipating my birthday each year.
I was counting the number of presents I would received from my friends.
I knew that there would be friends throwing surprise party for me.
When I was fourteen, the most lavished birthday party was organized for me.
My friends tried gathering as many people as possible, we had BBQ, and water bombs.
They bought many chicken wings, sausages, fish balls, and even octopus.
I was already a vegetarian back then, but out of vanity, I didn't stop them for doing so.
Till now, I still feel guilty for that.

In my later teens, when I was eighteen, I had a more meaningful birthday.
I had learnt that on the day of birth, my mom was actually suffering from a great pain during gestation. During the nine months of pregnancy was never comfortable. But my mom never blamed me for those pains, yet loving me so unconditionally. So I started learning to do virtuous deeds, to dedicate those merits for my mother.

In my college years, I never stop the tradition I had set for myself. I would do as much good deeds I can do as possible on my birthday, and think about the kindness my parents had done for me.

A few days ago, I turned twenty-four.

It was my first birthday as a teacher. I was flooded with wishes from my family, my relatives, my teachers, my friends, my colleagues, as well as my students. Thank you for the birthday wishes, I really appreciate them.

I wish everyone would be truly happy, freed from all sorts of sufferings. Then, I would truly be happy.

I was really saddened to hear about the earthquake in Nepal, especially upon hearing about the deaths and the injuries. It happened the day after my birthday. People are still wishing me happy birthday, but it is really hard to be happy, when you know others are suffering due to disaster.

Before my birthday, I was busy with work, too busy that I didn't really have much time to think about any other things other than work. The day after my birthday, I was on the plane. It was once after so long since I last took budget airline. I put away my electronic devices, and not receiving any messages for the moment. As I was sitting by the window, I started looking at the scenery from the bird-eye view.

I started thinking about the people whom I have ever come across to in my life. I thought about those who have been right by my side throughout the process of growing up. My friends are grown-up now, just like me. My parents, relatives and teachers played important roles in my life too. These people were still young and energetic when I was a kid. Now I am twenty-four, and they have aged. Some are now suffering from illness. Some had passed away. These are the hardest truth, but not many people like discussing about them. Many would consider this as pessimistic or unlucky. We may not sense those sufferings when we are fit and fiddle, but they are hiding somewhere, and may attack us anytime without warning.

As the plane flew above the clouds, I started wondering: Why do Buddha, God, Jesus, Confucius, or any other Sages and Great people get to sense the sufferings of all sentient beings, hearing their calls for help, and would find ways to resolve the problems, while I was rather insensitive, indifferent, and often bothered by trivial matters that revolved around me. Though my job is all about serving others, honestly speaking, deep down my heart, I think for myself very often. At those moments, I wouldn't be thinking about what I have to face in future.

I am twenty-four. Time will continue flying fast. In no time, I shall age. It's time to take action, seizing every moments I have to overcome the difficulties, playing a part I should pay, to be more considerate, to be more thoughtful, to be more courageous, to be wiser, in order to make my love ones happier, relieving their pains.


Comments

Popular Posts